A Cautionary Tale… And My Thanksgiving Gift to You
One of the best things about Thanksgiving is spending time with family.
However… if your dream is to quit your soul-sucking job to be your own boss… then spending time with family can also be a dream killer.
After all, who are the least likely people to support your dream?
The people who love you the most, right?
Because they l–o–v–e you.
Which means they want you to be safe.
So when you start talking about shaking things up by leaving your job to follow your dream of…
Sculpting one of a kind caricature cake toppers like my client Leslie…
Or getting paid to care for other people’s pets in your home like a dog-lover named Maricruz does…
Or taking steps to become a well-paid keynote speaker like my friend Bob is doing…
Or basically anything that involves breaking out of the employee pack to do your own thing…
That kind of talk scares the stuffing out of people who’ve spent their entire lives working for someone else.
Just ask poor Karen.
Five years ago the aspiring self-bosser wrote to say she spent much of her holiday break hiding out in her in-laws’ bathroom.
Retelling Karen’s story has become somewhat of a Thanksgiving tradition here at Changing Course.
So as you prepare to spend time with your own family and friends, I’d like to once again share Karen’s story as both a cautionary tale – and as an inspiring example of how you can enjoy your family and grow your dream at the same time.
The story begins with an important reminder to anyone looking to escape the job box...
Never Discuss Your Dreams With People Who Have Forgotten Their Own
It was a lesson Karen forgot when she announced over turkey that she’d been thinking of quitting her job to strike on her own .
Not surprisingly, Karen spent the next three days listening to a bunch of discouraging relatives explain why that her plan would never work…
“Too much competition.”
“You don’t have enough experience.”
And the biggest myth of all… “Most new businesses fail.”
Keep in mind that none of Karen’s in-laws have ever run a business themselves.
But, when it comes to self-employment, “little things” like accurate information or any actual business experience never stopped anyone – and especially family – from offering uninformed advice.
At heart of all this discouragement is the message…
“What do you mean? You have a good job! You want to be happy too?!”
It’s a message I heard for two years before I finally walked away from my corporate job with the 90-mile-a-day commute to create the life I really want.
To hear the gurus tell it, the solution is simple. Just purge these negative people from your life.
This is Where the “Gurus” Are Flat Out Wrong
The thing is… I loved my grandmother.
My grandmother was not a negative person.
It’s just that she lived in the same house for most of her 92 years and she worked as a housekeeper for a local doctor and his family for some six decades.
Simply said, my grandmother did not like change.
So rather than try to change my grandmother, I instead stuck to safe topics like the price of gas… or the weather…
That way my grandmother didn’t have to worry about me and I didn’t have to defend my dream.
However, Karen taught me that there’s another way to handle discouraging relatives at the holidays.
One that can advance your dream at the same time.
Karen’s Brilliant Idea for Keeping Her Dream Alive
Like me, Karen was not willing to disown her relatives.
But she was also determined to not go through another holiday like the last one.
Instead she came up with a “unique” strategy for getting through the long Thanksgiving weekend at the in-laws.
Before leaving town Karen downloaded some of the audios from the “Making Dreams Happen” program to take with her.
That way during the long drive to and from her in-laws… the endless televised football games… even stolen time behind the bathroom door…
Karen could listen to powerful reminders that dreams do indeed happen. And so does yours.
All you need is someone to show you the way.
There’s Nothing Else Like It — Anywhere
Of course you can listen to anything that supports your dream.
I’m humbled to say Karen decided to grab as many inspiring moments as she could (even bathroom time) listening in as Barbara Sher, Barbara Winter and me layed out our unique strategies for finding and following your bliss.
Making Dreams Happen is the ONLY audio program of its kind that brings together not one, not two, but three internationally-recognized career and life change experts… .
Making Dreams Happen is the ONLY audio program that features not one, not two, but three internationally-recognized career and life change experts…
Best-selling author and Oprah guest Barbara Sher best known for books like “Wishcraft” (over a million copies sold!) and “I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was”
Barbara Winter, best-selling author of “Making a Living Without a Job” and an internationally recognized expert on multiple profit centers
And me. I’m an expert on seeing creative ways to turn interests into income.
In addition to training over 300 people how to be “outside the job box” career coaches, I also wrote a book on confidence that’s been reprinted in 5 languages. (A book which, despite the title, has helped a lot of men too.)
After all, changing course comes down to two things:
Having a great idea and then having the confidence to act on it.
I knew that bringing Barbara Sher, Barbara Winter and me together in one room would be life changing for us – and for anyone who was lucky enough to listen in.
Not only will you benefit from the ideas and methods we share, but you’ll also hear from three other inspiring entrepreneurs – regular people just like you who made their own dreams happen.
Artist and designer Bonnie Druschel offers a heartfelt account of how, with precious little self-confidence and even less business experience, she went from struggling to paid artist.
Bonnie will tell you how to avoid the roadblocks she encountered and inspire you… even if you’re not an artist.
Joan Brett, founder of the Culinary School of the Rockies, tells you how she left behind a successful career as an attorney to build a whole new life around cooking – her passion.
She started out small, teaching a few classes a week in her home, and built what is today an accredited, professional culinary academy.
Find out how Joan did it… and come away with some ideas of your own about how to design a food-related career.
You’ll hear, too, from Doug Woods. This enterprising young man tapped local friends and acquaintances to invest in his business idea.
Doug shares how you can get people to fund your own dream… and reveals the one magic word that makes investors enthusiastic immediately…
If the idea of loving what you do… of jumping out of bed every morning excited about what the day holds, appeals to you, then I strongly encourage you to take seriously the Making Dreams Happen Audio Program.
Just think: Six months from now, you could be living your dream…
Over the course of the full program, we’ll help you…
- Tap into your deepest passions, hopes, and dreams. You might be surprised at what you discover!
- Explore the practical matter of turning those passions, hopes, and dreams into a livelihood. You’ll come away understanding the dream-busting myths about self-employment you must absolutely ignore… the secrets to thinking like an entrepreneur… how to make a living without a job through the power of multiple income streams… and much more.
- Tackle the roadblocks… what’s keeping you stuck… and teach you how to navigate around them. You’ll learn how to use the CLUE technique to generate fascinating business ideas… and open up an incredible range of positive possibilities and creative alternatives to having a job.
- Find out if you fall into the “Expert Trap,” the “Rugged Individualist Trap,” the “Natural Genius Trap,” or the “Perfectionist Trap”… and what to do to free yourself…
- Find out what every expert knows. Learn how to create visibility for yourself… proven ways to package what you know… and how to get the media to promote your expertise, often without spending a dime…
- Throw an idea party… and get a team of fun, creative people to help you brainstorm ideas about your wildest dreams.
- Learn big and small ways you can keep your dream on track, even when you have no spare time to attend to it… plus four little words that will jump start any plan…
- Explore the myths and realities of working for yourself… and talk about the big “M” – money. Get a primer on the nuts-and-bolts of changing course (from marketing your business to getting health insurance). Find out how the attitudes you learned about money as a child could be undermining your dreams…
- Discover the surprising effect “switching genders” can have on your dream…
- Figure out what kind of support you’ll need and where you can find it… plus learn the one place you should never look for a boost…
- Find out how to run a successful Success Team from the woman who invented them. (Mademoiselle called Barbara Sher’s Success Teams “everything your family should have been and probably wasn’t.”) “Isolation is a dream-killer,” as Barbara says… this is your ticket to connectedness… and success…
Making Dreams Happen can easily be downloaded right onto your computer or portable device… or even onto CDs if you like.
That way you can listen while you prepare your Thanksgiving feast… in the car or on the plane… while you walk off some of those Thanksgiving calories – or like Karen, even in the bathroom if you want!
Seriously, you don’t have to hide out in the bathroom.
But if you’re constantly feeling stuck between a clock and a hard place, then upcoming holiday down-time is the perfect opportunity to give your dream of being your own boss the attention it deserves.
This is also you chance to launch your full time dream at HALF the price!
Making Dreams Happen normally sells for $149.
But when you act by this Sunday November 29th, you can get all 20 hours of Making Dreams Happen for just $74 – That’s a $75 Savings!
I launched the Changing Course Newsletter 20 years ago.
My hope then and now is to offer change seekers like you the information, inspiration, and tools to help you go from having a boss… to being the boss of you!
I am so grateful to have you in my life. So to show my gratitude I’d like to offer you another Thanksgiving gift.
Make Your Dreams Happen And Get a FREE Gift!
The 13th century Persian poet and philosopher Rumi wisely said, “When setting out on a journey do not consult someone who has never left home.”
Instead of listening to people insist your dream isn’t possible, this is your chance to grab a FREE copy of another inspiring and idea-provoking audio series.
The Life Changers: How They Did It — and How You Can Too!
The people you’ll hear from are no richer or smarter than you. They didn’t necessarily have more time or courage.
But they all found a way to successfully changed course to follow their own road in life… and as they will show you, how you can too.
Among the people you’ll meet on this eye-opening audio series are…
- A former nursing home executive who tapped a family recipe he brought from his native Nigeria and now makes and sells to gourmet shops and restaurants
- A talented artist who after struggling with low self-esteem discovered the lucrative world of art licensing. Today she is a working artist who gets paid to have her work reproduced on anything from gift bags, to coffee mugs and has recently licensed her own line of inspirational jewelry
- A woman bringing in an amazing $70,000 a year as an animal communicatory
- A couple who walked away from solid careers for a far more relaxing life in the country raising alpacas
- A woman with absolutely no experience as an inventor who successfully brought not one but two handy product ideas to market
- You’ll also meet a couple who created an entirely new niche not as inventors but as “product scouts.” Today they help manufacturers find cool new products… Best of all, their new lifestyle allowed them to realize their dream of getting out of New England to spend their winters in sunny Arizona
I’m really just scratching the surface. There are well over a dozen inspiring self-bossers who make up the Life Changers series…
Along the way their stories will show you how to recognize and avoid the common detours and speed bumps that can derail your dream.
Lessons that are guaranteed to save you time, money, and unnecessary frustration and stress.
As importantly, you’ll be inspired to view your life through the lens of possibility.
And when you do, you will realize in no uncertain terms that – no matter what your family or friends say — you truly can create the life you really want.
The Life Changers normally sells for $49. But when your order Making Dreams Happen during this special 3-day sale, you get the entire 4-set audio download FREE.
Your dream-bashing family and friends will be speechless when you tell them about the Life Changers you’ll meet.
Click here now to get all 20+ hours of dream-enabling audios in the Making Dreams Happen program for $75 off. PLUS your FREE copy of The Life Changers.
Then as you sit down to your Thanksgiving dinner, give thanks that you don’t have to spend Thanksgiving hiding out in the bathroom like Karen.
Instead you get the unique opportunity to tap into the collective wisdom of three top experts each dedicated to helping you make your dreams happen – and enjoy your FREE holiday gift from me!
Since 1995 the Dreamer in Residence
P.S. I’ve never had anyone tell me they listened to me in the bathroom! But hey, if that’s what it takes to get a little alone time with your dreams, then you gotta love the determination!
Act now. Your chance to save $75 on Making Dreams Happens plus get instant access to that and your FREE gift (a $49 value) ends this Sunday November 29th