From the Changing Course family to your family, we are sending you warm wishes for a joyful and peaceful holiday season.
We know it’s the holidays, but as we close 2021, we also know that many of you are still looking for that money-making idea that will allow you to kick your traditional job to the curb in 2022. Here is another idea for you.
Money Maker: Teach English Online
Even with all the language learning apps on the market, nothing beats the human contact of learning a language from a person.
Globalization has meant that many people need to or want to learn a second or even a third language.
A combination of immigration, an increase in global businesses, the online world bringing us closer, and people opting to attend school or work in English-speaking countries has made teaching English a growing profession.
The online Language Learning Market was valued at USD 12.49 Billion in 2019 and is projected to reach $25.73 Billion by 2027, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.2% from 2020 to 2027.
And a huge benefit is this work can be done from anywhere on the planet.
Do you want to be a part of this growing market?
What Do I Need to Teach English Online?
As with most things, the answer is “that depends.” There are a growing number of online companies seeking people to teach English and each has its own requirements.
You will obviously need a reliable computer with a camera, microphone, and speakers for all online teaching work. You will also need to be fluent in English. After that, the requirements vary.
- Beyond fluency in English, some teaching programs may require that you are a native English speaker.
- Many programs require that you have a bachelor’s degree, but this is not a requirement for all programs and the degree does not need to be in English or in teaching.
- Certification to teach English as a foreign language is required by some programs. Still, other programs don’t require this.
- If you will be working with children, you will generally need to have experience working with them and may need to pass a criminal background check.
Sites Seeking English Teachers
There are several types of certifications for teaching English including:
- CELTA – Certificate for English Language Teaching to Adults is a entry level certification, similar to TEFL, but focused on teaching adults.
- DELTA – Diploma in Teaching English to Adults is an advanced qualification for experienced EFL teachers. Teachers typically need to have at least a year of teaching experience in order to enroll in the course.
- TEFL – entry level certification that is typically required to Teach English as a Foreign Language in non-native English-speaking countries.
- TESOL – advanced certification that is typically required to Teach English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) in native English-speaking countries such as Australia, Canada, United Kingdom or United States.
Teaching Children and Youth
- Preply (Tutors in more than two dozen languages)
- QKids (US and Canadian teachers only)
- Turito (Provides tutoring for SAT, ACT, AP exams and more)
- VIPKid (US and Canadian teachers only)
- Whales English
- Cambly (also children)
- iTutorGroup (also children)
- BlaBla EdTech (video tutorials for children and adults)
English Language Teaching Certification
- TEFL Certification also check their article, Teach English Online
- International TELF and TESOL Training
- Bridge TEFL and TESOL
- Study CELTA
Want to Go Abroad Instead?
Here are a few resources for those who would prefer to teach in-person abroad rather than online:
Is this what’s holding you back?
When I compare myself to others, I come up lacking.
It’s incredibly easy and common to compare yourself to others. You look at the success someone else is having and then compare that to your own success.
You compare your accomplishments to the accomplishments of others and find yourself lacking. If someone else is seemingly accomplishing more than you, it makes you feel like a failure.
You feel that in order for you to be successful, you should be accomplishing at least as much, if not more, than those around you.
I am valuable and worthy because I am.
In order to rewrite this limiting belief, it’s important to understand that the achievements of others are not relevant for you. It’s not that they aren’t important. But they don’t determine your worth, success, or value. You are valuable simply because of who you are. Your successes should be celebrated, NOT compared to the successes of others. Your new belief is, “I refuse to compare myself to others. Whether I achieve ‘a lot’ or ‘a little’, I am valuable and worthy.